Public Announcement – QR Code Scam
- By Localcoin
- February 1, 2020
Localcoin has received notice that select ATMs in the Quebec and Ottawa region have been the target of fraud. Scammers have placed fraudulent QR code stickers over the camera screens of the Bitcoin ATM. These stickers are immediately scanned when the customer attempts to make a purchase. The scanned QR code replaces the customer’s destination address and the Bitcoin is sent to the scammer’s wallet. Under no circumstances should a customer insert cash into the machine if a QR code sticker is placed over the camera.
We are working closely with authorities to identify and correct all affected locations. If you suspect a machine has been tampered with please call us at 1-877-412-2646.
- 10 Common Crypto Terms You Should Familiarize Yourself With
- Did You Know You Can Buy Crypto at an ATM Near You?
- How to Buy Ethereum in Canada & The U.S: A Breakdown for New Crypto Users!
- How to Buy Dogecoin in Canada: A Breakdown for New Crypto Users!
- Everything You Need to Know About How to Buy Bitcoin in Canada